Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Backyard Optics: There's Something About Mourning Doves

Good Morning Birders,

I'm searching for information about Mourning Dove attitudes.   We've got a lot of criters and creatures in the yard, but there seems nothing more interesting that I have seen than the mourning dove.  I've got this pair of  10 x 25mm Bushness Roof Prism at the window sill for just the occasion for what I wit- nessed today.  A Morning Dove not just perched, but poised about 30 feet above ground and literally staring down a chipmunk on the ground stealing from one of our feeders.  This bird then swooped down at the cute little rodent, but just in time, the chipmunk leaped into the wild roses escaping its fate planned buy the Dove.

I'm stopping my search at this point and asking round and about birder nation as to this columbid behavior, and asking for an answer.  To date nothing has been effective at stopping the rodents from feeding from my stock of seed, but this particular Mourning Dove seems to be getting closer.

Let me know...

Robert Baruch
Your Telescope Blogger





No comments:

Post a Comment