Sunday, August 21, 2011

A First Learning Time for you--A First Online for me

Today, I placed a second article online taking the form, if you will of a first lesson plan for an individual (first time teacher, or parent) to begin teaching the subject of optic tools for astronomy and other purposes other than pure science.  Before we continue go to the website to the Articles About the Optic Experience and click on the title:  Optics 101:  The First Lesson for the Star Gazer—Beyond aTeachable Moment.
Read through it and come back to this post.

I'm clearly interested in comments back here or for that matter directly to the site as having been a teacher (not in the sciences) I found it interesting enough to get a kid in the classroom to become an active participant in the subject of the day (or any other day for that matter).  

Before I retired, there wasn't a day that went by that I was stymied by the clueless in the room.  How light a fire under them?  How do I get them just make a decision one way or another:  "I am not at all interested in learning anything in this classroom." or "I am thoroughly enthused by the subject and I would crave to know more."

While I experienced teachable moments plenty while teaching, I realized after the fact that the subject of the course mattered less that being able to grasp a students interest on whatever instance came my way because I could always find a path back to the basis for the course of study at hand.  

This endeavor of mine in the study of and marketing of optics devises has all the relationship in the world to the art of the educator which held my occupational interests before this time.
Do I make any sense to you or am I all wet today?  Let me know.

More good stuff next time.

Bob
Pop Opticsw



No comments:

Post a Comment